Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Visit Two: Colors of the Seasons



What is the best thing about the seasons? COLORS! 

As a part of the First Grade curriculum, they learn about the characteristics of the different seasons. I decided to use that comparison mindset to teach a little color theory. I knew watercolors would be a fun medium for them to experience, and would lend to the content. Instead of teaching mixing and using lots of paints, I wanted to continue with my theme of "observations" and have them focus on comparing what colors are found in which seasons, and the effect of colors on our senses!



I prepared by cutting templates of leaves on white watercolor paper. I had each child choose four, one to represent each season. Mrs. Ackley had provided for all the other necessary materials; water color pallets and paint brushes. I began this lesson with an activity in imagining a walk through the forest. As the students closed their eyes and pictured the forest, I prompted them to think of a specific season, and asked which colors they were seeing. I wrote a list of this brainstorming on a board for the students to refer back to. 

After going over some basic watercolor etiquette, I set them off at creating 4 leaves of their own, each to represent a season. I wanted the kids to have a larger degree of freedom on this activity so I allowed them to create any pattern or picture or design on their leaves. I saw many of them working to use the correct color pallet for the seasons, and there were a few who were just having fun with colors! 













As they worked, I set up a bare tree with four large branch partitions in the hallway. As they finished, we divided them into seasons, and then I attached Spring to the left branch, Summer to the next, Fall to the next, and Winter to the far right. 

Our Seasons Tree was a unique take on combining the colors of the seasons into one tree. I was very pleased with how this activity turned out, and admirers got to see the wonderful tree as they passed in the hall!


I cut this quickly out of butcher paper and created a place for us to put our leaves.

Spring Branch

Summer Branch

Fall Branch

Winter Branch


Check out my lesson plan for this visit! Bring some color to your students:




Finished Product: Seasons Tree!

0 comments:

Post a Comment